- Basmati rice, white 2 cup
- 0% Greek yogurt plain 70g
- 1 egg yolk
- Saffron infuse 2 Tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil 2 Tsp
- Strained Tomatoes 2.88 cup
- Chicken Breast 200g
- Salt and pepper
Saffron is expensive so what I use it’s the infused water. Crush the saffron to obtain a powder and add it in a container of warm water in a ratio of one cup per half teaspoon of spice. Use 2 tsp of the infuse and keep the rest covered in the fridge for the next recipe.
I use a paper towel to rub the oil around the oven pan. In this way, the oil will be uniformly distributed and the paper towel will absorb the excess.
Wait 20-30 minutes before starting to cook the chicken. In this way, your rice will be ready at the same time!
A simpler version of it…
Tahchin means literally “arranged in the bottom” and if you ask any Iranian they will tell you the bottom is always the best part of the rice! My mum would make this dish in a more traditional way, in a pan, with the chicken layered into the rice…My way is the lazy, simplest way. I increased the crunchy part and reduced the quantity of oil used (the chicken is completely oil free).
Add some yogurt and salad on the side and you will have a little taste of an Iranian family dinner. We ate this by eating the rice, the chicken the salad and the yogurt all together at the same time! I know sounds strange but believe me, it’s the best!
- Boil some water in a large saucepan.
- Add salt and the rice to the boiling water and stir with a wooden spoon just enough to separate any clumps (don’t overdue).
- Let the rice cook halfway, it should be still firm in the middle.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, mix together the yogurt with the yolk in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven at 425 F.
- Drain the rice and add it to the yogurt-yolk mixture, stir well. Add the saffron and more salt only if needed.
- Put some oil in a small size oven pan and rub it all around the container walls.
- Add the mixture to the baking dish and spread evenly to cover the full bottom. Cover with aluminum foil and put it in the oven for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper and the chicken breast cut in pieces. Heat at a medium temperature and let it cook for half an hour. Stir time to time and add some water if needed.
- Put everything in your dish. ENJOY!
|Ingredients||quantity||Calories (kcal)||Carbs (g)||Fat (g)||Protein (g)|
|Basmati rice, white||2 cup||410||90||1||9|
|0% Greek yogurt plain||70g||36||3||6|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tsp||80||9|
|Strained Tomatoes||2.88 cup||230||58||2||12|